Starting next month, Panattoni Park Heerlen distribution centre will supply green energy to both resident tenant JD Sports and the external organisation Ikazia Hospital in Rotterdam. Sunrock transformed the 65,000 square metres of roof surface on the sustainable distribution centre in Heerlen into a solar power system that will be operational from November. In addition to tenant JD Sports and the Ikazia Hospital, about 2,000 residents and the Waalwijk-based company Froster will also be using the solar energy generated on the roof of the distribution centre. In this way, the BREEAM NL-Very Good building developed by Panattoni gains another sustainable function for several parties.
Ikazia Hospital is powered by 100% green energy.
In addition to solar energy from the roof of Panattoni Park Heerlen, the Rotterdam-based Ikazia Hospital has also entered into an agreement for the supply of solar energy with EuroRijn from Rotterdam. The combined output from the solar panels on both buildings accounts for over 30% of the hospital's total electricity consumption. The remaining 70% of the electricity used by Ikazia Hospital comes from wind turbines. This Rotterdam hospital is the first in the Netherlands to achieve 100% sustainability in its operations using an external solar park in this manner.
"All hospitals have high energy consumption," says Matthijs de Vroed, Sustainability Advocate at Ikazia. "Think not only of lighting and heating but especially of air handling systems, pumps, and research equipment. These consume a lot of energy. Since it's not possible to generate this energy on our own roof, this combination of wind and solar energy generated at other locations is the perfect solution to operate on 100% green energy."
Collaboration is the key
The parties collaborating in this agreement are: Ikazia Hospital, Sunrock as project developer of the solar roof, Euro-Rijn Group and Panattoni as logistics real estate developers, whose roofs are used to generate the energy, Eneco as an intermediary for energy supply and Intrakoop for process guidance.
Michiel Aandewiel, Sunrock commercial manager: "Thanks to the fine cooperation, a unique result has been achieved. By adopting solar roofs by Ikazia, it is now possible to make the hospital's operations more sustainable and thus contribute to the green deal sustainable healthcare."
Dual usage of space gives sustainable logistics building valuable additional function
Jeroen Gerritsen is the Managing Director at Panattoni and the developer of the distribution center currently serving as the European distribution center for JD Sports. He states: “We are in the midst of an energy crisis, and the need for locally generated green energy is more urgent than ever. However, available space for sustainable energy projects in the Netherlands is limited. Our current and future developments offer approximately 750,000 square meters of space for solar panels, which could provide locally generated green energy to tens of thousands of households. Unfortunately, various areas in the Netherlands are experiencing grid congestion, making it impossible to feed back the generated solar energy, as is the case with this project in Heerlen. It's a pity, as this green energy is crucial to accelerate the energy transition, and our rooftops are ready for it!” According to Gerritsen.
A Sustainable Milestone for JD Sports
JD Sports, the tenant of the distribution center in Heerlen, is a leading retailer with around 3,300 stores in 38 countries. The fashion retailer has a strong focus on environmental awareness and corporate social responsibility. The solar roof of the distribution centre is a major milestone for JD Sports 'sustainability ambitions. For the JD Group, this is the largest installation of solar panels on their own roof so far.
Justin Cox, Group Supply Chain Director at JD Sports: “By using solar energy for our operational activities, we will reduce our emissions by about 1,449 tons of CO2. Investing in renewable energy in our supply chain is an essential part of our strategy to tackle climate change and reduce our CO2 emissions further on our pathway to Net Zero.”